Young managers at higher education institutions in developing countries are now able to apply for the DIES UNILEAD course offered by the University of Oldenburg in 2021. The class brings together the topics Project Management, Strategic Management & Academic Leadership, and Human Resource Management with individual and practice-oriented shift projects of every participant.
UNILEAD forms part of this DIES program (Dialogue on Innovative Higher Education Plans ), which is jointly coordinated by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and German Rectors’ Conference (HRK) as 2001 and funded by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). DIES offers a package of measures — training classes, dialogue events, projects and partnerships — which foster professionalization of institutional management procedures, alignment of education to international quality standards and strengthening of research abilities.
UNILEAD targets three Important areas:
Project Management. Including classes on Methodology of Project Management and Financial Management in Projects.
Strategic Management & Academic Leadership.
This includes courses of theoretical basics and practical tools such as the Development and Implementation of Strategic Management and Acquisition of Competences in the area of Leadership.
Human Resource Management.
Including courses on Instruments of Human Resource Development, Conflict Management and Communication.
UNILEAD targets higher education managers from developing nations. Important criteria are:
- Applicants happen to be holding a college management position using managerial and personnel duties no more than 4 decades in one of the following fields:
o Managers of central university departments (Planning, Quality Management, Human Resources, Continuing Education; devoting academic units like Deans, Vice Deans, Head of Department)
o Taskforce supervisors for university reform projects
o Managers of staff development units or programs
- Lively and excellent English language skills (speaking and writing) are crucial. Phone interviews will be organized with shortlisted candidates to guarantee the requested proficiency.
Further criteria are:
- Applicants are college leaders preferably between 30 and 40 years.
- Applicants hold at least a Master’s diploma.
- The supply of global experience will be an asset.
Throughout the contact phases, the participants will be guests of the University of Oldenburg. The following expenditures will be covered:
• Course costs UNILEAD approx. 5.500 $.
• Travel costs: Flights to and from Germany (Economy class) and ground travel to and from Oldenburg (2. Class train). We kindly ask the participants to make their own travel arrangements — they will then be reimbursed in cash upon arrival in Oldenburg.
• Accommodation (including breakfast) and some combined meals in the two touch phases in Germany.
• Emergency medical insurance during the contact phases.
Expected co-funding: Participants’ home institutions are expected to contribute to the course costs by paying for a
one-time fee of 300,00 $. The fee will be deducted from the travel reimbursement from the first touch period.
In addition, local transport in the participants’ home countries, visa expenses, and potential added per diems
for the stay in Germany have to be covered by the participants or their home institution.
Contact details of Programme Management
Ms Christine Vajna
Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg
Dept. of Continuing Education and Education Management (we.b)/C3L
For More Information:
Application Deadline: 13 October 2020.